Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Reflections 1 lesson 4

After investigating many blogs, I can now see more justification for blogging such as an authentic audience. When I first investigated it, I felt it was just a social circle and a waste of time. While it can provide individualized teacher feedback, create an audience outside of the classroom, and connect world wide, I do worry about all aspects of education that necessitate sitting. Being a Family and Consumer Science teacher I tend to approach all education looking at the impact on health, family life, and career possibilities.

I needed to expand my search of blogs in a quest for FACS (Family and Consumer Science) blogs. I was excited to see my ideal active classroom already exists as shown in the article on Work Whilst you Work. Pictures can be seen on the mayoclinic site. I've always thought that in order to fight teen obesity, we need to make education in motion. When I learned about podcasting, I've kept this in the back of my mind for my instruction delivery possibilities in an ideal motion classroom.

For ways to incorporate blogging into FACS, I actually see the facelessness of blogging as having potential. One area we address is weight loss. Students are much more likely to ask questions they would not ask in class if they can use a pseudonym. It could create a forum, a support group, with a direct link for teacher input.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You brought up a couple of interesting points. I think it would be great to pursue the idea of podcasting connected with a "motion classroom."

I also agree with you in terms of the possible anonymity of blogging being a strength when dealing with teenagers who are grappling with personally sensitive issues.