Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Lesson 10

It would be impossible for me to not to agree with Dr. Zhao. The fact that I am attempting this course and listening here is my acknowledgement that I need to embrase the technology that students are learning and incorporate it into my lessons. I took a class back in college on games and simulations, but the games of today have a different challenge for use. It used to be I could create my own games ( paper craft style) to reinforce concepts, but with online games, I am at the mercy of search engines and others creativity.
I noted his idea of what can teachers do versus what can computers do. Hopefully we will reach the harmony of a relationship.
I loved the YouTube. Podcasting to reach students holds interest for me due to the mobility it allows. I want to teach not only info, but lifelong healthy habits, and that means incorporating physical movement. I don't text message, maybe I need to learn that too in order to see the possibilities.

3 comments:

Mr. D. said...

Diane - I agree with your suggestion that learning new technologies that our kids use, like text messaging, is key to knowing, understanding, reaching and teaching our students in their world. By taking this course, we can start to experience what our students are using every day. We can start to make plans and decisions about how these technologies might connect kids with concepts they're learning.

I'm not sure I understand correctly your reference to "incorporating physical movement." If it's about keeping a healthy balance between screen time and physical/social/emotional health time...I strongly agree. Am I close (as I log off to get a 3 or 4 mile run in)?

DianeS said...

Yes I am referring to balancing screen time with physical activity. I am afraid of these new exciting "bright shiny objects" exciting students so much that they sit longer.

irish said...

Keep learning Diane. That is the attitude we all have to have in order to move forward and be successful. It may not always be comfortable but the more we do, the better we become. As a PE teacher, I am glad you feel the physical is important too. I am right with you on that!