Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Lesson 11 School 2.0

What strikes me the most is that everyone is on the same page. Everyone is doing the technology. It is hopefully like fast forward to our current students as parents. There is not a part of the picture which is disconnected from technology, as it is in real life.It is often hard to move forward, when someone insists that they have rights and that the information must be presented the same way it always has because they "don't do computers". In the School 2.0, every classroom is moving forward and using technology, not several classrooms using an "old way of doing it" surrounding the one trying to use technology.

I would definitely keep the Technologists to be the translators and bring others to the conversation. I see them in School 2.0 in "I can help you set up your blog", "I'll set this up for your special ed students", "Thanks for the mentorship podcast", "Now I know how to use the parent portal". Unfortunately there are not enough technologists to be able to actually create our lessons and meet our every need. It would be nice to be able to say, "I need a blog, would you create it for me and then I will use it?" I hope colleges can make changes faster than what I see happening with technology, or we will be behind if teachers don't enter with technology skills. It takes me 10 times longer to learn it now, than if I had earlier. So, hooray for people like Lori, and I'll keep trying.

What I would change is the sitting perspective to the community. Except for the playground, it is all from a sitting perspective. Every computer is next to a chair; they listen to the speaker from a chair. The great benefits that technology can bring to the world, will "sit" next to a host of health problems (back problems, obesity, tendonitis, heart problems) if mobility is not common place in the use of technology.

Another thing I would change is the addition of a cafeteria that dishes up food tailored to your personal nutritional needs, activity level, and health status. We could also add virtual doctors, grocery stores, banks ets, but then I guess it would no longer be School 2.0 but Community 2.0.

2 comments:

Mr. D. said...

Again, your health and nutrition comment is important to keep in perspective. I'm so glad you pointed out how much sitting is going on in School 2.0. If there's going to be more seat time, we have to balance that with more than a small playground. Also, your cafeteria idea is exciting, and possible right now with POS computers tracking what student are eating (or at least buying).

You really caught the big idea here (and i agree)...School 2.0 should really be Community 2.0!

Unknown said...

I like your comment about technology use not really being an option. We don't allow elementary level teachers to say, "I'm not really comfortable with math and so I don't really do math. Therefore, we won't be doing any math this year and your child will get it from someone else next year." Why do we keep allowing teachers to say this about technology when technology use is such an integral part of the world outside of schools?